A. Everyday Phrases from the Bible
Identify the book and if possible the chapter and verse where these commonly used phrases originated.
- The skin of my teeth
- Wolf in sheep’s clothing
- Salt of the earth
- Holier than thou
- Woe is me!
- Can a leopard change its spots
- Give up the ghost
- A drop in a bucket
- A lamb for slaughter
- The blind leading the blind
B. Speaking of Churches…..
- Which church was neither hot nor cold?
- Which church began in the house Lydia, the seller or purple?
- In which church was Paul accused of turning the world upside down?
- Which church had two bickering women named Euodia and Syntyche?
- In which church did Paul raise up Eutychus, who had fallen to his death out of a window?
C. They did it first in the Bible
- Where is the first dream mentioned?
- What is the first commandment?
- Where is the first piggy bank mentioned?
- When was the first purchase of land?
- Which was the first military coup in Israel?
- Which was the first animal out of the ark?
- What was the first city called?
- What is the first colour mentioned?
D. Chapter 1 Verse 1
Each of the following is the first verse of a book in the Bible. Name the book.
- The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the son of God.
- The elder unto the well-beloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
- The words of the preacher, the son of David, king of Israel.
- Adam, Seth, Enosh.
- Paul, an apostle, not of men but by Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead.
E. Who Did God Ask?
- “How long will my people provoke me?”
- “Doest thou well to be angry?”
- “Who hast made man’s mouth?”
- “Is anything too hard for the Lord?”
- “Has thou killed and also taken possession?”
- Jo b 19:20
- Matthew 7:15
- Matthew 5:13
- Isaiah 65:5
- Isaiah 6:5
- Jeremiah 13:23
- Job 14:10
- Isaiah 40:15
- Isaiah 53:7
- Matthew 15:14
Speaking of Churches
- Laodicea (Revelations 2:15-16)
- Philippi (Acts 16:15, 40)
- Thessalonica (Acts 17:6)
- Philippi (Philippians 4:1-3)
- Troas (Acts 20:7-12)
They Did It First
- The dream of Abimelech, in which he was told to return Sarah to Abraham (Gen.1:3-8)
- Be fruitful and multiply (Gen.1:28)
- In the temple of Jerusalem, to keep priests from stealing funds (2 Kings 12)
- Abraham bought the cave of Macphelah as a tomb for Sarah (Gen. 23:3-20)
- Absalom led an attempt to overthrow his father David (2 Sam.15:18)
- The Raven (Gen.8:7)
- Enoch, named after Cain’s son (Gen.4:17)
- Green “I have given every green herb” (Gen.1:30)
Chapter 1 Verse 1
- 3 John
- 1 Chronicles
Whom Did God Ask?
- Moses (Numbers 14:11)
- Jonah (Jonah 4:9)
- Moses (Exodus 4:11)
- Abraham (Gen.18:13)
- Ahab (1 Kings 21:19)